Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA/Dreamer Process)

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

UPDATE, as of September 05, 2017:
The Department of Homeland Security release a memo to initiate the "orderly wind down" of the DACA program.

Starting August 15th 2012, certain individuals in the United States can be granted an opportunity to apply for working permission and protection from deportation (aka “deferred action”).

To qualify for this relief you must

  • Have entered the United States before your 16th birthday
  • Currently be at least 15 years old. No age cap restriction (as of November 20, 2014)
  • Have continuously resided in the United States since January 01, 2007 * (*This regulation subject to change)
  • Currently be in school / be a high school graduate / a GED holder / or equivalent
  • Have not been convicted of a felony offense, significant misdemeanor offense, multiple misdemeanors, pose a threat to national security or have violated a deportation order issued January 2014 until present
The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals application process requires three main applications: Form I-821D, Form I-765 and Form I-765WS, Worksheet. Each application requires a unique set of evidence.

Form I-821D, Application for Deferred Action


There is no fee to apply for the I-821D, Application for Deferred Action. Application for Deferred Action's greatest benefit, the I-765, requires a fee of $495.

Required Material

Proof of identity

Proof of entry into the United States before 16th birthday

Proof of continuous presence since June 2007 to the present

Proof of presence in the United States on/around June 15, 2012

School transcripts / GED certificate / Proof of current enrollment


Protection from deportation for two years

Form I-765, Application for Working Permission
Form I-765WS, Worksheet


$495 Total Fees ($410 EAD fee + $85 Biometrics)

Required Material

2 Passport Photos

Copy of Government issued photo identification card

Form I-765WS: Written explanation establishing your economic need for employment


Working Permission for three years
Driver's license
Social Security card & number
Can apply to institutions of higher learning & financial aid
Eligible for disability benefits
Can apply for the I-131, Advanced Parole document, to travel outside of the United States

DACA Renewal Process

To maintain your lawful DACA status and working permission, it is highly recommended that you start your renewal paperwork four to five months before your status expires. The filing fee for the DACA renewal process is $495. Your applications for DACA Renewal and Employment Authorization renewal can be submitted starting 150 to 120 days before expiration in order to avoid a lapse in valid authorization.

Check out our DACA Renewal Page and FAQ for more information.

If you are Deferred Action approved and you are married to a U.S. Citizen, your immigration options may be SUBSTANTIALLY increased by the I-821D. We urge you to speak with our office IMMEDIATELY to learn more about how an I-131, Advanced Parole document could transition you into Legal Permanent Residence.

For further guidance with your DACA initial or Renewal application: