I-131, Application for Travel Document (Steps for DACA Applicants)

Once your I-821D, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) request is approved, DACA applicants are eligible to apply for an I-131, Travel Document so they can travel outside of the United States. In order to be eligible for Travel Permission, a Deferred Action recipient must have a credible reason for why they are asking to be allowed to leave the country.

Credible Reason 1:

Education: Includes a semester-abroad program or academic research

Credible Reason 2:

Humanitarian: Includes travel to obtain medical treatment, attend funeral services for a family member or visit an ailing relative

Credible Reason 3:

Employment: Includes overseas assignments, interviews, conferences or training, or meeting with clients overseas

Form I-131, Application for Travel Document



Required Materials

I-797 Notice of Action, DACA Approval Notice
Declaration from DACA Applicant explaining reason for travel
Evidence to Support Credible Reason 1: Education
Letter of Support from Institution or Program Director for study abroad or research program
Evidence to Support Credible Reason 2: Humanitarian
Evidence of medical condition, Relative’s medical condition or death, Proof of relationship
Evidence to Support Credible Reason 3: Employment
Letter of support from employer/potential employer
If you are Deferred Action approved and you are married to a U.S. Citizen, your immigration options may be SUBSTANTIALLY increased by the I-821D.

We urge you to speak with our office IMMEDIATELY to learn more about how an I-131, Advanced Parole document could transition you into Legal Permanent Residence through a process we call the "DACA Turnaround".

If you feel you qualify for this process, drop by or give us a call for a free consultation: (951) 588 9838.