I-765 Application for Work Permit / Employment Authorization (EAD or Red Card)

An Employment Authorization Document, commonly known as an "EAD Card", will allow you to work in the United States. However, you must have an existing status or immigration relief that allows you to apply for the I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. The I-765 form can also be used to renew or replace a lost/stolen EAD card.

Many people can apply for a work permit including: Asylum applicants, foreign students, employment-based nonimmigrants, family based non-immigrants, and other categories. Each category requires specific paperwork and filing process.

Form I-765: Application for Employment Authorization (EAD Card/Work Permit/Red Card)


First filing fee is waived for asylum applicants
Renewal fee is waived for applicants who are currently in AOS / (C) (9) status

Family Applications

Separate filing is required for each relative

Required Material

Copy of I-94, Arrival-Departure Record
Copy of last EAD
If no previous EAD, Government-issued ID
2 passport photos
Certain processes require an approved status application before issuing the I-765 approval and the I-765 application is also vulnerable to Requests for Evidence that may delay the process.

Approximately 7 to 10 days after the I-765 application is submitted, applicants will receive a receipt from the USCIS verifying the fees and forms are in process.

Approximately 30 to 60 days after the I-765 application is submitted, applicants will attend a biometrics appointment.

Approximately 90 days after the I-765 application is submitted, applications should be approved for working permission.

Although the USCIS has pledged to process I-765 EAD applications within a 90 day period, processing times are subject to delays depending on requests for more evidence or circumstances surrounding the applicant's underlying petition.