Parole in Place- Immediate Relatives of U.S. Armed Service Members

Beginning on November 15, 2013 through a Memo from the USCIS, certain individuals in the United States with an immediate relative on active duty in the U.S. Armed Services, Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve and Veterans will be granted the opportunity to bypass previous unlawful presence and file an I-130 Family Petition normally.

This means, if you are a parent or spouse of someone on active duty in the U.S. Armed Services, Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve and/or Veteran of the Armed Services, you may be able to adjust into a lawful status, even if you have had unlawful status in the United States.

"Parole in Place" is a remarkable process that allows for unprecedented control and access to your case. Each Parole in Place request is hand delivered to your local USCIS office for review by a designated immigration officer. Your attorney and their office will have access to the officer assigned to your case review, allowing for direct communication if special issues arise.

The process of "Parole in Place" begins with two forms: the I-130, Petition for Relative and the I-131, Application for Travel Document.

Form I-130
Form I-131

Application for Alien Relative
Application for Travel Permission

Filing Fees

I-130, $420
I-131, $0

Required Material

Proof of relationship to the Service member
Passport or Government Issued ID
Military I.D. Card of the Service member
Notarized affidavit from the Service member
Evidence of other favorable factors: Ex. The service member's financial dependence on the beneficiary, health/emotional distress if the beneficiary were to leave, etc.


Shorter processing time
Cheaper, in comparison to other waiver processes
Beneficiary (spouse or parent) does not have to exit the United States
Relatively simple evidence requirements
Access to immigration officer in charge of the case
Once the I-130 is approved and the Parole in Place is completed, the next step is an I-485, Adjustment of Status into Legal Permanent Residence in the United States.

Contact an attorney right away to learn more about this exciting opportunity for the United States to give back to its brave servicemen and women.