U Visa, Victims of Criminal Activity in the United States

The U Visa is set aside for victims of certain crimes who have suffered mental or psychological abuse, and are helpful to law enforcement or government officials in the investigation or prosecution of the particular criminal activity.

U Visa Eligibility Requirements

  • 1) You are the victim of a qualifying criminal activity

    You are eligible for a U Visa if you are the victim of one of the crimes found in the Immigration & Nationality Act, INA 101(a)15(u). The criminal activities in this clause are in violation of one or more of Federal, State, or local criminal law:
    Domestic Violence
    Rape | Sexual assault | Abusive sexual contact
    Sexual exploitation | Prostitution
    Blackmail | Extortion
    Kidnapping | Abduction | Unlawful criminal restraint | False imprisonment
    Trafficking | Involuntary servitude | Slave trade
    Torture | Murder | Manslaughter
    Fraud in foreign labor contracting

  • 2) You have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of having been a victim of crime

  • 3) You have information about the activity and were helpful, are helpful, or are likely to be helpful to law enforcement in the investigation of crime

  • 4) The crime happened in the United States or violated U.S. Laws

  • 5) You are admissible in the United States (If not you may apply for a waiver Form I-192, Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Non-immigrant)

Form I-918: Application for U Visa, Non-immigrant Status


There is no fee to apply for the U-Visa

Family Applications

If you are under 21 years old you may petition on behalf of your spouse, children, parents, and unmarried siblings under age 18
If you are over 21 years old, you can apply for your spouse, and or unmarried children under the age of 21

Required Material

Form I-918
Form I-918 B Certification with the required official signature of a certifying law enforcement agency
A personal statement describing the criminal activity of which you were a victim
Evidence to show you meet the eligibility requirements
* If you are not allowed to enter the United States (you are considered "inadmissible"), you must file required form I-192, Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Non-immigrant.

Processing times vary depending on the details of your case. The USCIS generally takes about a year to fully process a U Visa application.

Permission to Work in the United States (EAD)

You will receive a work permit (EAD) the same time your U Visa application is approved. No application for working permission is required.

Filing for Legal Permanent Residence (Green Card)

Three years after being granted U-Visa, you may apply for a green card. You must submit a separate I-485 application packet for yourself and, if applicable, for each family member who received derivative U-Visa status based on your case.

Read more information about the I-485 process at this link.

The U Visa involves an abundance of sensitive paperwork. The Immigration Law Offices of Hadley Bajramovic PC is experienced in filing many successful U Visas. Call (951) 588 9838 for more information.